Black Rice with Shrimp and Herb Vinaigrette
This is a stunningly beautiful dish - plump, pink shrimp and the jet-black rice with the flecks of green and orange - you'll want to take a picture (send us one if you do!), but be sure to eat it before your guests get it all!
- 1 1/2 cups Riso Nero
- 1 large carrot, finely diced
- 2 stalks celery, finely diced
- 6 ounces of shrimp, cleaned and deveined (if using larger shrimp, chop into bite-size pieces)
- 1/4 cup white wine (optional)
- salt and pepper
- 1/3 cup, plus 2 tablespoons, extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons Rozendal Mixed Vinegar
- 2 tablespoons each, chopped mint and basil
In a large pot, bring 8 cups water to a boil. Season with salt and pour in the rice. Boil for 30-40 minutes or until the rice is completely tender. Drain and set aside, keeping warm.
While the rice is cooking, in a saute pan, heat 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil over medium-high heat. When the oil is hot, add the carrot and celery, season with salt and pepper, and saute for 5 - 8 minutes, or until tender. Add the shrimp and cook for 2 minutes, stirring. Add the wine and scrape up any bits from the bottom of the pan.
In a bowl, whisk together the extra virgin olive oil with the vinegar, herbs and salt and pepper, to taste. Add the shrimp mixture and the rice to the bowl. Stir to combine and check for seasoning.