Serve this with steamed asparagus, artichokes, green beans, snap peas, roasted potato wedges, french fries, fish, pork chops...should we continue?
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 clove garlic, chopped coarsely
- 1 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons Piment D'Espelette
- ¾ cup canola, vegetable or grapeseed oil
In a food processor bowl, add the egg yolk, salt and garlic. Process to a smooth mixture and then add the lemon juice and espelette.
Then begin, VERY SLOWLY, adding the oil with the processor running. Add a few drops at a time and resist the urge to begin dripping more quickly. After you've added about half the oil, stop to see if it's come together at all...it should be slightly thicker than when you began. If so, you can begin adding a little more quickly, but still SLOW! Once you've added all the oil, check for seasoning and adjust as needed.
* If you want to do it by hand, use a mortar and pestle and work slowly...very, very slowly.