Wild Rice Salad with Walnut Oil
We like to up the ante on the nutty flavors of wild rice with walnut oil. A few other ingredients, which you an change at will, make this salad a perfect fall or winter dish.
- 8 ounces of wild rice
- enough liquid to cover by about an inch (water or chicken stock)
- 2 cups shredded kale
- 1 Granny Smith apple, diced
- 1/2 cup dried cherries or cranberries
- 1/2 cup of pomegranate seeds
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (something mild)
- 2 tablespoons walnut oil
- juice of a lemon
- salt and pepper
Rinse the wild rice under cool water until the water runs clear.
In a saucepan, combine the rice and the liquid and place over medium-high heat. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Cover tightly and cook for 25 - 30 minutes. The rice should be fluffy and all of the liquid should be absorbed. Stir in the kale and set aside to cool.
In a bowl, combine the olive oil and nut oil with the lemon juice. Stir together and toss in the diced apple, dried fruit and pomegranate seeds.
When the rice is cool, toss everything together and serve.