Fregola Sarda with Clams
This is a classic Sardinian summer dish.
- 1 pound clams, soaked in cold water with a little salt for 1 hour
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 10 sprigs Italian parsley, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon chili flakes (more or less as desired)
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 4 tomatoes, peeled, deseeded & chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped oregano
- 3 cups water
- 4 oz Fregola Sarda
Start by draining and rinsing the clams in fresh water.
Heat 3 tablespoons olive oil, add half the garlic, parsley, chili flakes and sauté 2 minutes. Add clams and wine, cover and cook 2 minutes. Raise heat, uncover, season with salt and pepper and cook another 5 minutes or so, until clams have opened.
Drain clams, setting aside cooking liquid. Discard any unopened clams. Shell the clams, discarding the shells. Heat the rest of the olive oil, add the rest of the garlic, sauté 3 minutes. Add the tomatoes, bay leaf, oregano and sauté 3 minutes.
Add the reserved clam cooking liquid, water and 1 teaspoon salt. Bring to a boil, add the fregola and cook approximately 12 minutes. Add the reserved clams and cook another 2 minutes. The fregola should have some bite Adjust seasoning, drizzle with a little additional oil and serve.